Blog

Updated HB3 Call to Action: Contact Conference Committee Members

On Monday, the Senate passed their version of House Bill 3 which restores the G/T allotment (amendment made by Sen. Jane Nelson). There were major differences from the House bill, and accordingly, the chambers appointed members to negotiate the final provisions of the bill.

HB3 Call to Action:

Contact Conference Committee Members to Show Support for G/T Allotment

On Monday, the Senate passed their version of House Bill 3 which restores the G/T allotment (amendment made by Sen. Jane Nelson). There were major differences from the House bill, and accordingly, the chambers appointed members to negotiate the final provisions of the bill.
This conference committee will begin meeting this or next week and will likely conclude by the end of next week. Please take the time to contact the conference committee members (linked above) and show your support for the G/T allotment being included in the final bill.  
 
Sample language for reaching out (please write your lawmakers in your own voice; form letters are not nearly as impactful):
TO SENATE
Sen. [Last Name],
Thank you for your leadership in restoring the G/T allotment in House Bill 3! I appreciate your support of our gifted and talented students and ask that you continue to support the allotment and the amendments related to G/T adopted by the House (Sec 2.026 & 2.027).
Sincerely,
[your name]
 
TO HOUSE
Rep. [Last Name],
Thank you for your leadership in moving House Bill 3 forward and investing in public education in Texas. Please support the restoration of the G/T allotment to ensure our gifted students continue to receive vital services that meet their unique needs.
Sincerely,
[your name]

 

Legislative Update

Each week, the TAGT advocacy team will provide an update on legislative actions that could impact G/T students.
  • SB 3: Teacher/Librarian Pay Raise 
    • Provides a $5,000 annual increase for full-time classroom teachers and librarians.
    • Will cost the state $4 billion.
    • Does not include a pay raise for other school employees.
    • Passed the Senate on March 4.
    • Referred to the House Committee on Public Education on March 28, but has not received a public hearing. Probably will not pass.
  • HJR 3/HB 4261: Sales Tax
    • Requires a constitutional amendment before voters to approve a 1-cent sales tax increase moving the state's sales tax from 6.25% to 7.25%.
    • The money generated from the sales tax increase would then be used to buy down school property tax rates.
    • The committee substitute did not include a provision earmarking 20% of the sales tax revenue increase to support public schools and the remaining 80% for school property tax relief. This bill was left pending. Probably will not pass.
  • Legislative Dates of Interest
    • May 9 – Last day for House Bills to pass the House
    • May 27 – Last day of the 86th Regular session

Contributors

Upcoming Events

View All Events