Gifted Plus Conference
The TAGT Gifted Plus Conference: Serving the Underserved is geared towards the educators who work tirelessly to ensure equitable access for all gifted students. Sessions will focus on at least one of the four main tracks:
- Twice Exceptional (gifted and another exceptionality)
- Underserved Populations (low SES, minorities)
- English Language Learners (ELL)
- Additional Qualifiers (Homeless, Military, Girls, LGBTQ, etc.)
June 22–24, 2017
Eilan Hotel, San Antonio
- Twice Exceptional Summit: June 22
- $75 (member/nonmember)*
- *Bring your special education colleague for an additional $60!
- Gifted Plus Conference Only: June 23-24
- $210/$310 (member/nonmember) by June 1
- Summit and Conference June 22-24
- $285/$385 (member/nonmember) by June
18603 La Cantera Terrace
San Antonio, TX 78256
Hotel Reservation Deadline: June 8
Rate: $159 Single/Double
June 23 | 8:15 - 9:30 a.m.
Lost Kid Finds Home at NASA: A Journey
Join Steven C. Smith on a journey of redemption, adventure, and discovery. He made a career out of using his own story to reach the young people he worked with and build relationships that were then used to make science relevant to his students as individuals. Hear his journey and learn a “rubber meets the road” approach to implementing real relevance into your own pedagogy to reach every student where they are.
Steven C. Smith, MIPM
June 24 | 11:15 a.m. - 12:30 p.m.
Identifying Gifted and Talented Students from Underrepresented Populations
There is little consensus among scholars and practitioners in gifted education as to the most effective methods to identify G/T students. Tannenbaum (1983) called the identification process one of the “inexact sciences” in gifted education. This led to the underrepresentation of some student populations, including those students from low-income backgrounds and culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds. Discuss current G/T identification issues and explore some effective methods.
Assistant Professor of Gifted, Creative, and Talented Studies
Interested in exhibiting at the Gifted Plus Conference?
Contact Paulina Van Eeden Hill, Director of Events & Professional Development